Confidential Assistance for Kentucky Lawyers SCR 3.990
Lawyers are more vulnerable to personal and professional problems than the average population, because few occupations are as stressful. Competition, long hours, high expectations and win-lose scenarios can wear down even the most capable lawyer. This often leads to depression, stress, relationship issues, financial problems, or alcohol and substance use. KYLAP confidentially helps lawyers who are experiencing issues that may affect their ability to practice law in a competent and proficient manner.
KYLAP is a confidential service under Supreme Court Rule 3.990. KYLAP never initiates a complaint or reports a self-referral to any disciplinary agency.
There is no fee for services. KYLAP is entirely funded through attorney annual fees.
KYLAP accepts anonymous referrals from individuals who have concerns about a fellow colleague, law student, or judge.
Are you or someone you know having thoughts of suicide?
Call the Suicide Prevention Lifeline
We can all help prevent suicide. The Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones, and best practices for professionals.
How KYLAP Can Help
- Making assessment referrals to accurately identify a problem
- Providing treatment/therapy/rehabilitation referrals
- Offering peer support
- Establishing monitoring and compliance contracts
- Judge/Lawyer/Law student recovery meetings
- The KYLAP Foundation may be able to financially assist with the cost of assessments, counseling, or treatment.